Monday, February 22, 2010

Shaker Cat Head Baskets

Large and Medium sized Shaker Cat Head Baskets


Large Cat Head - approximately 12 1/2" tall (including handle), basket height just under 7" tall.  Diameter is approximately 10 1/2" wide.  Stained with my boiled black walnut stain.  The handle is hand carved and feels wonderful in the hand.  $40.00 which includes shipping to US addresses. ~SOLD~


Medium Cat Head - approximately 11" tall(including handle), basket height 6" tall.  Diameter is approximately 8" wide.  Stained with my boiled black walnut stain.  The handle is hand carved and feels wonderful in the hand and features a dip.  $37.00 which includes shipping to US addresses. ~SOLD~

The photo below is so you can see why this is a called a "Cat Head" basket.  The Shaker people made these baskets over a mold to assure consistency in size and shape.  I do not use a mold, but form the ears by manipulating the reeds to the shape I want.  Can you see the cats' ears and chubby little face in this photo?
Just in case you're still having trouble visualizing the cat head, Frito said he'd help you out! 

5 comments:

  1. Aww, Frito looks a little camera shy. He's gorgeous:) I love your baskets, and I do see the cat ears. They both look very handsome. You did an excellent job. Hugs~Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you argue with that cat x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute cat!!and love all your baskets!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~~ Love your baskets~~ they are awesome...
    I love your cat - I have one that looks just like this his name is Tigger -
    sooo cute...

    Prim Blessings
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your baskets and Frito. I can't believe you actually make these baskets yourself. What a gift! Cathy

    ReplyDelete